Language

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The beautiful people of Cape Verde

Suzanna Lubrano - Famous CV singer
Like the islands on which they live, Cape Verdeans are a gorgeous people inside and out. They reflect a bewitching blend of their African and European roots. This mixture is more endearingly referred to as "creole."

There are around half a million native residents living in Cape Verde. Seventy five percent (75%) are of mixed heritage, and the rest are of African heritage.

The population is quite young with more than half under the age of 23. And nearly a third is under 15.

The literacy rate is 77% and almost 5% of GDP is spent on education which is free at the primary level. Cape Verdeans are a well educated lot and many achieve university level education.

A third of Cape Verdeans live below the poverty level. The majority enjoy a respectable standard of living and per capita income is about 2,500 euros, which is a relatively high level in Africa. By European and American standards, the standard of living is significantly lower.

But, you won't hear any Cape Verdeans complaining about living in Cape Verde - they love the place. They are not necessarily caught up with all of the material trappings to which people in first-world countries feel so entitled. Instead, they accept a simpler way of life and seem much happier for it. Now that's not to say that there aren't some wealthy Cape Verdeans - but most of those are the business owners and corporate leaders who drive the commerce of the country.

The official language is Portuguese, which is taught in the schools and spoken in formal settings. But the unofficial language spoken by all is Kriolu, an eclectic mix of Portuguese and other European languages with African. I have spoken one language all my life - English - but I have found Kriolu surprisingly easy to learn. It only took five years! Once I mustered up the courage to ask speakers to slow down their rapid fire speech, I actually could make out some of the words being spoken. LOL.

You must, however, be cautious before trying your hand at Kriolu. Many words seems to be strung together or parts of words are not pronounced. And most challenging of all is that the Kriolu spoken on each island is different in terms of words, manners of pronunciation and accents! You must believe me when I tell you that residents of one island often have trouble understanding residents of another island ... it's funny, but true! I've seen it happen many times. But in the end, the native language and its variations within such a small region only adds to the beauty and charm of the people and the place.

The primary religions are Christianity-based. You won't find any religious radicals on these islands. Life is too sweet, the place way too small, and the people much too practical for such worldly enigmas.

Now, on any given day, there are also thousands of foreigners from all over the world in Cape Verde. They come from Africa, Western and Eastern Europe, China, Brazil and America among other places to vacation or conduct business. And some come to retire as the cost of living is very low relative to first-world countries. Plus, Cape Verdeans and their descendants who live outside of Cape Verde always seem to come home for a visit every so often ... they never forget their roots ... and many of the retirees are people simply returning to their land of birth to live out their final years in peace and joy supported by their countrymen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The cabo verde Island is where my love, hesrt, soul s n d spirit will always be. Migrated as a very young child with my parents to America, USA, was not an easy task for me.

Yet, as time progressed a n d realizing that we were not just visiting, no, my parents said: We are staying permanently.

Although a young child, not knowing better, I had s feeling in my stomach, that we are in for good with lots of new things to learn and see.

Basically, learning the American way of living, not by choice9 alone, feeling almost forced to become a cape verdean/ Cabo verse American, almost, instantly.

Luckly for me this new way of living , learning of the new cultural, was not difficult to grasp, at all.

Due to the fact, that I was very little, learning when one is just a pea in the pod,for lack of s better term, is always better than when one is much older.

As I enjoy being raised in the USA, as its been said, in the land of t h e freedom, I grew up to move this new home of mines and appreciate all of what it has to offer to every one, but,free it is not and still from being close to it.

Yet, I do appreciate all that the USA has to offer in other opportunities aspects of living in the USA.

However, that is not to be confused about forgetting who, I am , where I can from from, never to lose myself in cultural transitions, regardless of where I may end up, in the world.

Furthermore, I remembered my parents words of reminding me , as well, as my siblings never to forget who are , that who we are, is and will always be " The beautiful people of the Cape Verdean Island(CABO VERDE)".

Being aware that we are the opiminet of who have the knowekedge of what truek, unconditional love for ourselves and loving others consist of. The ones who are gifted and further blessed with the most beautiful soul and spirit.

Yes, we are also kind, trust worthy, loyal,dependable, honest, dedicated, Family oriented, unselfish, and we'll grounded.

These are only a few of the characteristics, in which are embedded in us, that makes us Special and a mystical, at times, mysteriously , indeed " BE WITCHED", in a good way, that is to say.

In especailly, every Cape Verdean Women, deep inside, she is also created to be an awesome Mother, a great wife, and an awesome care giver, extermely nutrient.

To all of my Cape Verdean (Cabo verde) always know and remember, that you are trully loved and
immensely missed by me.

Thank you for staying true, beautiful and strong in everything in which you undertake and stand for.

Because of you, Today, I appreciate you, even more so, than ever before, Due To the fact that you and I are one, intertwined.

Hope, Faith, Believe, Peace, Light, but, the GREATEST of these is LOVE!

With that being said, My Love, I give freely you and leave with you!

By: Elena D Gome
USA


Unknown said...

Great!

Angelo said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings about what being Cape Verdean means to you.

Anonymous said...

Please, I kindly invite me to Cape Verda. I would like to experience the good Life there. I like exploring culture, meeting positive minded people & making friends. Looking forward for an invitation with accommodation. This my mobile phone ±2347033093079

Post a Comment

Please give us your feedback. Did you find this information interesting or useful?